Skip to main content

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-A-Thon: April 2015 Master Post




It's read-a-thon day!!  I am going to try to get some reading done today but I know I won't get anywhere near the 24 hour mark.  I will post a few updates here throughout the day but I will mostly be on twitter.  You can follow me throughout the day at @so_many_books.

I wanted to put a picture of my stack in this post but I'm working on my husband's computer (because mine blew up about a month ago) and his computer hates blogger (I think because he uses an ancient browser).  You can see the picture of my stack on twitter, if you are so inclined.  The books I plan to work on today are:

Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Mean Streak by Sandra Brown
The Agincourt Bride by Joanna Hickson

While I'd love to make it pretty far on the first two books, I will probably focus on The Agincourt Bride because it's an ebook that I can read on my phone.  I find it's a lot easier to get reading into my day when I can read on my phone.

I will also do plenty of reading with Julia today and we have a trip to the library planned. I will also be watching Outlander (!!) tonight so regardless of how much I read, it will be a bookish day.


Opening Meme:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?  I'm in eastern Kansas.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I'm so excited to read Mean Streak.  My online book club has raved about it.3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I have to go to the store today so I'm not sure yet.4) Tell us a little something about yourself!  I'm a mom to a rambunctious, non-sleeping almost 2 year old.  I live with my husband, daughter and crazy dog.  I work in higher education which is an adventure and a half. AND I love to read.  5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?  I haven't tried to participate since last April and it didn't go well.  I'm just going to try to get in as much reading as possible without stressing about it.


Final Update:  

Okay, I'm a day late updating this but overall I think I did pretty good over the course of the read-a-thon.  I got almost through Little Town on the Prairie (I finished it about a half hour after the read-a-thon ended) and I made good headway into The Agincourt Bride.  All in all, I read about 400 pages which is way better than I normally would do on an average Saturday.  I had a blast following everyone on twitter; I think I will definitely do that again in October.  It's almost impossible for me to get on the computer when Julia's awake so I felt I actually got to participate some.
   
I'm still sad that I can't do a read-a-thon the way I did pre-Julia but I had a blast participating as much as I could.  I can't wait until October!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?